I love vegetables but sometimes they can be a bit boring – enter this delicious and simple Broccoli, Brown Butter & Lemon Pasta Salad. This recipe came to be one night a few weeks ago – I had grilled steak (yes, we grill in Winter in New Zealand – I’m a Californian after all!), steamed broccoli and potatoes on the menu for that weeknight meal. When I opened up the veggie drawer and pulled out the big broccoli head – it just felt so boring. I knew I would make it and we would reluctantly eat it because it’s green and good for you but that it wouldn’t be interesting or even particularly delicious. So after a few minutes of rummaging around in my pantry, I found a half used bag of pasta, chili flakes, lemons and got to work. The end result was pretty tasty.
I’ve literally made this 3 times since, in fact, I have some in my fridge right now! I love this salad best cool but not chilled. Halve it for two or double it for a crowd, you can’t go wrong. Versatile as the day is long! It’s also perfect to pack for lunch – light, fresh and so yummy.
- 3 - 5 Quarts Water
- 5 cups dried pasta
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ cups Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large pot bring water to a boil, add salt. Cut broccoli florets in half. Once the pasta has cooked for approximately half the recommended cooking time, add in the broccoli and cook until just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet add butter, onions and cook until just soft. Add in garlic, stir and pour over pasta and broccoli. Sprinkle chili flakes, lemon zest and juice into the mixture and gently stir. Grate the Parmigiano Reggiano and fold in.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Pour into serving dish and serve slightly chilled.