My dad has been bugging me for some authentic New Zealand baking (being the daughter of a woman who could cook and bake like a rockstar while making it all look so effortless leaves me with really, really big shoes to fill), so I did my Anzac Biscuits last weekend and now this weekend I’ve baked some Lemon & Berry Melting Moments.
In January while I was in New Zealand I stopped by the coffee shop/bakery on the way up to Timaru and they had the most amazing berry Melting Moments, so this is my attempt to bring a little iconic New Zealand, stateside.
- 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ cup cornstarch, sifted
- Lemon Berry Frosting Filling
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon berry preserve
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl (or stand mixer), beat butter until fluffy. Reduce speed to add confectioners sugar and vanilla; return to high and mix for approximately 5 minutes or until mixture is light and airy.
- Using a cookie scoop, roll dough into balls and place on a lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Flatten each ball using a fork. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown; let cool on wire racks.
- For the lemon berry frosting, mix butter, confectioners sugar, lemon juice and zest with a mixer for approximately 5 minutes or until light and airy; fold in berry preserves. Gently spread frosting mixture over half of the cookie undersides and then sandwich the other half. Makes approximately 8.