Yes, I am one of those people that has kitchen machines that only get used once or twice a year. Included in that list of machinery is a very handy ice cream maker. I’ve officially used it once, for a strawberry ice cream recipe I made last year. With that said, it’s summer here in LA and I’m thinking that there may be some who want to make ice cream but don’t want to buy and store an ice cream machine and you know what, I totally respect that.
So, I developed an ice cream recipe that anyone could make, even without the help of a fancy machine. With that, this easy Salted Caramel Ice Cream was born. I don’t usually eat ice cream, not because I don’t like it but let’s be real, I can’t afford the calories. However, when I do indulge, one of my favorites is salted caramel and this version is pretty epic…and did I mention easy?!
When I say its easy, I really do mean it! Hope you get to try making it soon!
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ice Cream Base
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Caramel Candies, roughly chopped (optional)
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add brown sugar, butter and bring to a simmer - stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla and salt. Remove from the heat and pour into a heatproof jar or bowl and let cool completely.
- For the ice cream, in a very cold bowl add the condensed milk, cream and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Pour mixture into a metal loaf pan and add in half the caramel sauce and gently fold to combine. Pour the remaining caramel sauce and candy in a line down the middle. Take a knife and swirl the sauce into the ice cream. Freeze until firm, approximately 4 - 6 hours.