I love smoked salmon. Like, really love it. I could eat it every day forever.
So last month, I found myself leaving Costco with a very large package of smoked salmon. I knew that I had to do a little experimenting. This was the result of my labors.
I love this appetizer because it looks so fancy but is really so, so very easy. Slice and bake some potato, mix up some herbed sour cream and place some smoked salmon on top – done and done!
You’ll look like an star!
The perfect base.
- 6 - 8 small white potatoes, sliced lengthwise approx ¼ inch or less thick
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ¼ purple onion, roughly diced
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- ¼ cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon of dill, plus more for topping
- salt & pepper
- Smoked salmon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Dry sliced potatoes with a paper towel and place in a medium sized bowl. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Place each slice of potato on a baking tray and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the potatoes are cooking, sprinkle the diced onions with white vinegar and set aside. Mix the sour cream, garlic, dill and salt and pepper.
- Remove from oven and let potatoes cool slightly. To assemble, place potato slices on serving platter and spoon dill sour cream mixture, place as small piece of salmon on top, followed by a sprinkle of onions and capers. Once assembled, sprinkle a pinch of dill over all of the salmon potato bites and serve.