I came across this recipe in the January 2015 edition of Bon Appetit magazine and I just knew that I would be making it at some point. So when the Superbowl rolled around and I was designing my menu for our party I thought it was a perfect excuse to make this. Perfect mix of sweet and salty and so incredibly easy to prepare. Plus, you can totally make it your own by switching up the toppings – totally versatile!
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 15 graham crackers
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- ½ cup coarsely chopped salted macadamia nuts
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1½ cups unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Smoked flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with baking spray. Place graham crackers to make a single layer. Cover with popcorn, macadamia nuts and puffed rice cereal.
- In a small saucepan, bring butter and sugar to a boil over medium -high heat. Let boil and stir one time, reduce the heat to low and let mixture become a golden brown syrup, swirling occasionally.
- Pour toffee mixture over the graham crackers evenly, bake until slightly darkened in color, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and smoked flaky sea salt. Let cool completely before breaking bark into chunks.
- Recipe inspired by Bon Appetit's Popcorn Toffee Crack Bars.