When the 4th of July/Independence Day rolls around I officially feel like summer is here. Gone is the June gloom and in its place are long, hot, gorgeous days.
This S’mores recipe is inspired by those summer days where school is a distant memory and my time was spent away camping at the beach. A full day of fun in the sun, saltwater hair and sandy feet. Nights were always spent around the campfire getting warm as cool night falls – a perfect end to a perfect day.
I have no idea where the S’more got its name (I’ve heard its short for ‘some more’) but to me its pretty iconic. The whole process is just simply fun – taking apart old coat hangers for marshmallow skewers, the more intricate the design and engineering the better, that moment when your golden marshmallow is on the verge of combustion, knowing that the inside is perfect, the messiness of trying to eat your creation without dripping hot marshmallow and melted chocolate out the other end.
These bars are all the goodness of the S’more without the camping, mess or fire – one bite of these bars and you will feel like you are siting around a campfire biting into your messy, sticky s’mores creation – minus the residual campfire smell in your hair.
The S’more assembly. Graham cracker cooking crust with chocolate bars laid over the top.
Next you spread the marshmallow fluff over the top. You need the marshmallow fluff – not melted marshmallow. You then crumble up the remaining dough and sprinkle it on the top.
The cookie crust tastes like graham crackers, the chocolate is perfect and the marshmallow is a mix between creamy and then sightly crisp on the top. Tastes like you just took it off the open flame of the camp fire. Enjoy and happy 4th of July!!
- Cookie Base
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 king-sized milk chocolate bars (e.g. Hershey’s)
- 1½ cups marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place chocolate bars over dough. You can break the chocolate into smaller pieces making sure its no thicker than ¼ inch.
- Spread chocolate with marshmallow creme.Place remaining dough in crumbles in a single layer on top of the fluff.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Makes 16 cookie bars.